Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Thanksgiving, Advice From My Lil Bro, and Video Games

So, for the last week I didn't lose anything, and I didn't gain.  I kind of figured as much.  My little brother came for the holiday and while he was here I was totally pigging out and I even had a few beers one night while playing Risk.  On Thanksgiving though, I didn't get a chance to really pig out because the baby got sick have way through dinner and I had to take care of her and we had to leave.  We did bring home some pumpkin pie and I did have some later that night though, but even with that my calories were still pretty low for the day considering it was Thanksgiving and I had planned to throw calorie counting out the window for the day.  And I know I have been being a total slacker with everything from eating to blogging but I am going to start trying a little harder.

My little brother works in China and there is a guy that he works with.  My brother says the guy has degrees in nutrition.  My brother was trying to tell me all these things that I should be doing instead to lose weight.  He also said that the amount of calories don't matter as much as what you are eating.  Now, I do agree with that to a certain point.  If you are eating 1500 calories of Mcdonalds food a day you won't have the same results as if you ate 1500 calories of good, healthy, wholesome food.  Of course I think part of that is that if you are eating 1500 worth of calories from Mcdonalds, well you are probably only going to be able to eat one meal a day and if you are able to actually only eat that one meal a day, then you will still lose weight.  You will probably feel like crap but you will still lose.  More then likely though, if you are consuming Mcdonald's all day, I am going to guess that your calorie count will be well over 3000 calories and I am being really optimistic there.  Anyways, I think if you are always eating healthy food and have good portion control, then you are more then likely going to have your calories exactly where you want to them to be.  I kind of think that when people say that it is the types of foods that you eat that make a difference not calorie counting, that they mean that if you are eating healthy, then you don't have to worry about calories.  Lets face it, no one is ever overweight or obese because they were pigging out on fruits and veggies and whole grains their whole life.  I know that it is possible to still over eat even if you eat healthy but if you have made the decision to eat healthy in the first place, then you probably have made the same decision to keep it all in check.  I was trying to get it across to my brother that I wanted to be able to eat normal foods and not be on some weird diet.  He was trying to tell me to have protein shakes and tuna all day and I am sure that it would work and all that, but I want good yummy food (something that fat people say huh?) and not be drinking shakes all day.  I was trying to tell him that I am trying to teach myself how to eat healthy so that no matter the situation, I can always find some way to eat the right things.  All sorts of people do that all the time and I am overweight because I like to pig out on fattening, sugary foods.  I mean if I had to choose between carrots and chocolate cake, I would pick the chocolate cake and it is those kinds of habits that I am trying to break.  I know my brother meant well and was trying to be supportive, but being on some special diet is not what I want to do. 
He also said that there were exercises that I could do for 10 minutes and have the same results that I would get from running for 30 minutes.  I don't doubt that any least bit because the harder you work, the faster you burn.  I tried to tell him that I like working out for those 30 minutes on my Gazelle, that it gives me alone time.  For me, going out there in the garage and working out is enjoyable.  No one bothers me and I spend most of the time just sorting through the mess in my head and the time flies right by.  It is good for both my physical health and my mental health.  I told him that I like my time in the garage by myself and didn't care that it took me 30 minutes to work out.  Now, maybe when I plateau, I will ask him what those exercises are so that I can fit them into my routine and get over that bump. 

Of course,  my 10 year old said it best when he said "What does he know about losing weight?"  meaning my brother is and always has been a fit, healthy, skinny dude.  I thought it was kind of funny that my child was able to make that connection.  However, I am thankful for his advice and I will always keep it in mind.  I am glad to have his support!!

Speaking of plateaus, my sister watched this show and they said that when you hit a plateau, that you should try doing 2 workouts in a day.  If you normally work out for an hour a day, split it up into 2 thirty minute workouts, one in the morning and one in the afternoon.  I guess it works because when you work out, your metabolism gets a boost from it.  So if you do 2 workouts in one day, you get 2 boosts for your metabolism.  So if you get to a point where you hit a plateau and don't want to add time to your workout and can't really lower your calorie intake that much (because you still need to have a certain amount of calories a day to function), then try that and see if it works.  I haven't hit a plateau yet, but I think I will keep that little trick in mind though.

Does anyone have much experience with the exercise video games that they make?  I want to get one and I am trying to decide on which one would be the best.  We have a Wii and we are going to have something else after Christmas, and I can't go into too much detail just in case the kids decide to start reading my blog, but which games does anyone have experience with and how well do they work?

Well, I have a lot to do today.  I need to clean, finish the laundry and bake a couple of apple pies for my mom's Lion's meeting tomorrow. 

4 comments:

  1. It's good that you realize a couple things from your conversatios with bro: knowing that you want to make "better" choices in what you eat, as well as eating more reasonable, healthy amounts. These are really important. One thing we all tend to forget about is that as we eat/overeat, our stomachs adjust to the larger and larger meals. Before we know it, we're stuffing in huge amounts of food! As your portion sizes get smaller, your stomach will get smaller too, allowing you to get the same sense of fullness you used to, with much less food in there. Thats a good thing.

    Glad to see you back, and good for you that you didn't gain. Ready to get back to business? I'm following Allan's plan over at Almost Gastric Bypass. LOTS of water along with limited calories. Drinking the water helps me avoid feeling hungry, and when I do eat, I'm eating a lot less, especially if I drink the water right before a meal. Check out his site, if you're not familiar. He's pretty tough on the message he delivers, but his heart is in the right place, and he's all about helping people lose weight, as long as they are serious about losing it themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just recently started to workout twice a day sometimes and I must say that it really works. I have seen great results.

    It looks like you learned a lot from your brother and from your own thoughts about this journey. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For your Wii, get Walk It Out! which is a fun game where you walk to the rythm of the music and earn points to build your island. I really love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My son has a Wii we keep at his grandparents house (Xbox here at home) and they haven't gotten any "exercise" games for it yet because they don't really use it and Chris is into Mario, but they did recently get the Michael Jackson game. IDK if I'd call it exercise, but I was sweaty after 45 minutes, and thighs were really sore the next day.

    I think it's wonderful your brother was trying to help, but I agree- if he's been skinny all his life, what could he know about weight loss? If your plan is working, stick to it and keep him in mind if/when you need help!

    ReplyDelete