Friday, November 5, 2010

I was tagged, some rants and raves, and the Presidental Physical Fitness Test

I have been tagged at Girly Girl: Losing the Gut.  We have the same layout...lol.  I am not quite as savy about this blogging thing as so many of you are and when created mine, I could only get like 5 options on the layout so I picked the pinkish one.  Anyway, being tagged, I am suppose to answer 4 questions and then ask 4 new ones and tag 4 other bloggers.

1.  What is your favorite thing about the holiday season?  My favorite thing about the holiday season is family.  For Thanksgiving, there usually ends up being 30+ of us at my grandma's house and I love it!!  

2. What is your top 5 favorite artists of all time? I believe art comes in many different forms so some of you might not agree that all of these are artists.  1) My grandma, she is a painter. 2) Ansel Adams, I love black and white photography. 3) Robert Frost, I also like poetry and he wrote one of most favorite poems, "Nothing Gold Can Stay."  4) Janis Joplin, she just sings right to my heart and soul.  5) My dad, he draws, builds and paints motorcycles, he is a machinist, a great thinker, and a wonderful problem solver.

3.  Who are the inspirations in your life?  I hope you all have time because I have a lot.  My mom, my dad, my sister Jennifer, my brother Jason, all 4 of my children, and Mother Teresa. I have many, many others because life is tough and I always find myself drawing inspirations from everywhere and everyone.  My biggest inspiration right now is my 10 month old daughter because at just a few hours old she fought for her life and won.  She still has that same strength and determination with everything she does and I am completely 100% amazed by her!!

4. What is one thing you wish you would have known when you were younger?  This is a hard question to answer for someone who tries to live with no regrets.  I live with no regrets because no matter the situation or the mess, there is always something to learn from everything and everything we experience in life creates who we are.  I do wish I would have known sooner that I was bipolar.  If I would have known that then maybe I could have started to deal with it sooner and I wouldn't have felt so crappy all the time.

My 4 questions (Warning: Not quite so serious)

1.  If you had to, what relative would you lock up in the shed and why?

2.  If you were a stripper, what would your stripper name be?


3.  If you were to perform in the circus, what would you do?

4.  What is the most embarrassing thing that has ever happened to you?


Tag...your it!!!

How I am Losing It

Hating The Bathroom Scale 

In Pursuit

Life at 33% 


And if anyone else wants to answer these, leave me something in the comment section.  I would really love to hear everyone's not so serious answers!


I also wanted to thank everyone who stopped by and offered encouragement about my pizza mess.  I am over it today.  I ate well all day yesterday, did 50 minutes on the Gazelle and also took a 2 mile walk with the kids(they wanted to walk to the store).  It was a valuable lesson for me though.  In the past, I would have just blown it off as no biggie, but I can't always do that because that kind of attitude is what causes me to slip back into old habits. 
 I hate always telling people that I am not on a diet. My husband says that all the time, "What about your diet?" and I have to tell him that I am not on any special diet.  I am just not under some illusion that I can temporaily change my eating habits to lose weight and then when I have lost the weight, go back to eating the way I did.  I know that I have to make total lifestyle changes.  I need to change the way I think, the way I eat, the way I see food, the way I move.  There are so many things that need to change to make this happen.  There is no special diet, no special pill, no special powdery drink, no special book, no special program, no special plan, no quick fix.  Actually, there is a plan and it is a very easy concept: eat less, move more.  Of course I know that there is more to it then that, that a whole lot of different things play into it.  I am learning to eat better which for me is a lot of portion control because if you eat 3000 calories worth of lettuce(I don't think that is actually possible, but still), you have still have a 3000 calories.

I knew this one girl who was trying to get approved for a lapband and the doctor wanted her to do one of those meal plans like Medifast or Nutrisystem.  I am not sure which one it was but I know that they sent her pre-packaged, portion controlled food.  She would eat 2 of the meals at once and expected to see results.  Of there are those that do the Slim-fast thing, and eat a full breakfast with their shake because the shake wasn't satisfying or filling enough.  Too much is still too much even if you are having these kinds of things.

Then there are those that are following these programs religiously and complaining the whole time about how awful everything tastes.  I always want to ask them "Then why do it?"  The way I look at it is if you are doing something that you don't enjoy at all, then your chances of following through are much smaller.  And even if they do stick with it all the way through and lose their weight, they still need to learn how to prepare healthy food themselves somewhere along the way, or they will forever have to eat these meals that they hate or the weight will just come back.  For instance, a lot of people follow that Atkins diet or that South Beach Diet, have to maintain a very low carb diet for the rest of their life if they want to keep the weight off.  I know a lot of people that followed those plans and when they got to their goal weight, they started eating carbs again, not overeating but eating more then the plan had allowed and really put the weight back on.

I am not saying that any of those plans are bad or that people shouldn't do them, but that whatever you plan to do, you need to make a lifelong commitment to that program or plan.  Also, to realize that when you do reach your goal weight, you still can't go back to eating 4 pieces of pizza or half a chocolate cake or a bag of potato chips.  I have seen so many close to me that do that and end up putting on more weight then they were before.  Hell, I have done that too.  I have lost weight in the past and then just fell back into old habits and at one point I was 298!  That was a few years ago but I think if I hadn't started changing when I did, I would have ended up back at that weight.

I think that you need to being enjoying yourself to succeed.  If it is a drag, you probably won't stick with anything. I wanted to start this and find new ways to cook and prepare foods that I enjoy and to find foods that I never knew I liked that are all healthy.   I don't really like things like french fries or mac and cheese, not that I won't eat them, but I can't say I ever crave these things.  My biggest problem is if it tastes good, I want more.  Like I said earlier though, 3000 calories is still 3000 calories even if the source is healthy.

Anyways, everyone finds what works for them to lose weight.  But my biggest advice for anyone, is that if truly aren't loving your food plan or shakes or whatever, find something that you will enjoy that still gets the job done.

Oh yeah and one more thing.  In May, my 2 older boys are going to be testing for the Presidental Physical Fitness Test.  I told them that we all will train for it so that they can win a Presidental Physical Fitness Award.  I am excited about this because it means I can get the kids more active and for them to have something to work towards.  But does anyone have any ideas how I should do this.  Should I just pick one activity a day to work on or a do a little of everything?  I don't know, so if you have any suggestions or ideas about how you would go about to do it, I would greatly appreciate it.

6 comments:

  1. I love your answers to the artist question. Great interpretation of the question!

    As far as the presidental fitness test I would have your kids do a little bit of everything to get them going and then add more frequency or duration to them before they take the test. I love how you incorporate healthy living with your family and not just you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christina, I love reading what you post. Even though I talk to you daily, I'm always eager to see what you put up here! You're just good dang it! I want to answer your questions though... hope thats allowed in blogging world.

    1. Dad. Because it would be funny to hear him cuss and then funnier to watch him try to catch us!!
    2. Dianna
    3. Swing on the trapeze!!!
    4. Probably when I peed my pants in second grade and my teacher made me stand by the door, in front of the class, while I waited for my mom.... I know!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your question #1, funny as hell! I think the training w/ your kids is very cool! You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are right. Losing weight is hard enough, but to truly keep it off you have to find something that really works for you.

    Great job on the attitude of leaving the past in the past. We screw up. It happens.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, "diets" just don't work! It has to be a lifestyle change. No one can live on shakes for two meals a day for the rest of their lives! And who would want to? Blech

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree, I AM NOT ON A DIET! I say that at least once a day to some moron who just dosen't GET it.

    And you are right, this is the rest of your life. Do it right, are you really going to drink Slimfast for the rest of your life? No. But I will make healthy choices for the rest of mine.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete