Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Starving after a workout?

I recently read this article and it said that for a lot of people, going to the gym and having a good workout is one of the reasons they aren't losing weight.  Sounds crazy right?  Well it said that is what happens is people go workout really hard, get done and are hungry.  They say to themselves "I just worked  out and so I deserve to treat myself."  So they go overboard on the calories.  Lets say they burned 400 calories during their workout and then stop at a juice bar type place and they will get a large smoothie of some sort that can have 500 or more calories.  And they said that people will do this on top of what they are eating, like an extra.  So then, they completely cancel out their workout and even get a few extra calories.

Do you do this?  I know I always feel starving after a really good work out.  What I have do is workout first thing in the morning (after some coffee of course) then when I am done with my workout, eat breakfast.  My breakfast usually consists of some sort of whole grain and some form of protein, like oatmeal and a hardboiled egg or a small omelet(without cheese) and a piece of whole weight toast.  They also make some yogurt with extra protein and they also have an oatmeal with added protein.  The protein helps to feel full for longer and when it is mixed with a whole grain, it even packs a bigger punch. Breakfast this morning is a 2 eggs omelet with spinach, tomatoes, salsa and a piece of whole grain toast. which comes in at about 250 calories and I will not get hungry until about lunchtime.

So make sure you aren't overeating just because you worked out.  Calories are calories, whether you worked out or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment