Monday, October 25, 2010

Weigh in for 10/25, Brain Crack, My mom's 60th B-day

I got on the scale this morning and I wasn't nervous about it.  I felt pretty confident that I had a good week.  I weighed 264!!!  4 pounds down for the week!!!!  That is 11 pound since starting this blog and a grand total of 14 pounds for me!!!  I am totally excited about this. My best week yet!!!  My BMI has gone from 43.5 to 41.3.  That means that hopefully in a few more weeks I will no longer be considered morbidly obese, just obese.  My waist is 3 1/4 inches smaller, hips are 3 inches smaller but the chest is 1/4 inches bigger.  I don't quite understand the whole chest thing, but hey, I will take it.

I have decided to make Monday's my rest day.  I have a hard time with rest days.  I just feel so much better after I work out but everything I read says you should have rest days.  I feel like I can hear the Gazelle calling me.  I really think I am addicted to those happy hormones the brain makes.  I just call it brain crack.  I can't believe how much has happened in a little over a month.  I knew I had to change how I do things, but I never knew how wonderful it would feel.  I have always made all of these excuses not to workout on a regular basis.  If I would have just got up off of the couch and started moving (and pushing myself away from the table every now and then), I would have realized that it wasn't as hard as I thought.  Don't get me wrong, this is a lot of work, but not as hard as I always told myself it would be.  For the first time in my life I am considering going out for jogs sometime in the near future.  I am also tossing around the idea of doing a 5k or maybe a 10k and maybe even working my way up to doing a marathon some time in my life.  I haven't fully committed to these ideas yet, but I am tossing them around as a possibility.  I am going to keep milling it over in my head but I really think I am going to go for it and make at least a 5k a goal for this next spring and start training for that and go from there.  Of course I would be doing to say I did it and to challenge myself.  I think I am going to start checking into it though.  See what all this brain crack does to my thinking!!

 Yesterday was my mom's 60th birthday.  I threw a Halloween/costume themed party for her.  I made dinner which consisted of lasagna, salad, and bread sticks.  It was SO yummy.  I know it sounds totally full of calories, but I ate a big bowl of salad, a small piece of lasagna and 1 bread stick.  A month ago it would have been a whole plate full of lasagna with a second helping and 5 bread sticks.  Of course I made a cake as well and there was ice cream.  I had a normal, small serving of cake.  A month ago, I would have had a piece of cake that was 4 times (or larger) the size that I had yesterday and a heaping serving(s) of ice cream.  I didn't even have the ice cream yesterday.  I didn't count my calories yesterday.  I just figured I would go over but I figured my mom is only turning 60 once and I wanted to celebrate with her.  If I did go over, I don't think it was by a whole bunch though. 

I hear overweight people make all these excuses as to why they are overweight and why they can't do anything about it.  Their back hurts, their knees hurt, there is too much going on in their life to do it, too much stress, too much of this, too little of that.  I have made a lot of those same excuses and I know how and why it happens but they are still excuses.  My mom always has said to me "Excuses are like assholes and everyone has one."  All the excuses just keep one from living and no matter the excuse, it only hurts the one with the excuse.  I was having this discussion with my aunt last night who is overweight herself.  A couple of years ago though, she lost a ton of weight and I was so proud of her for doing it.  She was doing that Medifast program and walking, being more active.  She lost quite a bit of weight and it worked for her.  She has since gained a lot of the weight back and was complaining to me about how I have take pictures of her now and how she isn't comfortable with her weight.  I tried to remind her that she was the only one that could change it.  She has a bad back, and like me, has had several procedures done for it.  She told me that it was hard because of her health and I reminded her that where there is a will, there is a way and also reminded her that she had all this going on when she lost the weight before.  Then she started saying stuff about it being kind of a mental problem and I tried to remind her also that if she starts again, that it will help with her mentally too.  She kind of ran out of excuses at that point and said that she guesses when it gets important enough for her to do it, then she will do it.  I wasn't trying to be mean and I hope that I didn't come across that way.  I was trying to help her get motivated to do what she says she wants to do.  I know getting the motivation is a difficult and personal thing to do, but I don't think I should tell people that everything is fine and that they should continue on the course that they are on just to be pc.  And besides all that, everyone that knows me fairly well, knows that I can be a bit blunt and sometimes quite rash and that if you don't want to hear the truth, then you shouldn't talk to me about certain things.

Well, that's it for today.  I need to go clean up the house now.  Since we had that party last night and the last guests didn't leave until after 9, the house is still quite messy. 

6 comments:

  1. Holy WOW!!! Congrats on the awesome loss!! Keep up the good work!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're making GREAT progress! Go Christina! I'm really impressed. I love your mom's saying about excuses. Keep at her, she'll come around. It would be so much fun for you girls to work towards your goals together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job!! And hey, if you are going to gain inches anywhere, the boobs are the place! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! A 4 lb loss is one heck of a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I'm jealous!! Great week! I left something for you at my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. sounds like you did a great job eating... and I do not think you were too harsh on your aunt.. I think you were trying to encourage her..

    ReplyDelete