Friday, October 1, 2010






On Dec. 24, 2009 I gave birth to my wonderful baby girl.  She was born at 7:08 in the morning.  5 hours later she couldn't breathe on her own and rushed to the NICU.  They hooked her up to a vent that did all the breathing for her.  They did x-rays, ran blood tests, and did cultures.  Her right lung was completely filled with fluid and her left lung was half way filled.  When they intabated her, they said a whole bunch of blood came out on the tubes.  The doctor came and asked me if I had been positive for any infections while I was pregnant and I hadn't.  He told me that she had congenital pneumonia and they still needed to figure out why. He told us that she might die and to prepare ourselves for that.  I still hadn't seen her at this point because my stupid legs still wouldn't work.  The epidural final wore off enough and I got to go to the NICU at like 8 that night.  I was so heartbroken. There was this most beautiful girl in the world on the edge of life laying there.  I couldn't hold her.  I couldn't cuddle her.  I couldn't kiss her.  All I could do was stare at her.  I couldn't feed her. I couldn't hear her cry.  I felt so helpless, scared. 
Christmas morning, my doctor came in and discharged me.  It took the nurse forever to do anything which was fine because I just spent the whole day in the NICU, sitting next to my daughter.  The test results for one of the cultures came in and she was sick with a Group B Strep infection.  I was completely in shock because I had been tested only a week before she was born and was negative.  The doctor said that I had to have been positive at some point because she was born sick.  They called my doctor and my doctor had to come back in to give me a script for antibiotics. Now we knew what had my baby girl sick, but we still didn't know if she was going to make it.  We left the hospital that afternoon to go spend the evening with our other 3 children.  They had sat at home with grandma, patiently waiting to open their Christmas presents.  Everything just seemed so surreal and everything is just blurry to me, foggy.
We came in  the next morning and after waiting for 2 days while our  daughter wavered on the edge of death, the doctor told us that he believed she had come around the corner over the night seemed to be on the mend.  At that point everything became about when the vent was coming off, and when do I get to hold her.  She stayed for 3 weeks and got to come home.  It was a roller coaster ride every hour.  I would be SO happy to be going and seeing her and cry so hard when I left.

I bet you are wondering why am I telling this story on a blog about weight loss. Losing weight isn't only about shedding the pounds.  It is about living!!  October is Prenatal-onset GBS Disease Awareness Month!  My daughter got very lucky to have made it through this infection with her life and so far she appears to be 100% normal.  She nearly died though.  This kind of event has such a profound effect on the way you look at life.  Little things that you use to worry about so much, don't seem to matter any more.  You don't take so many things for granted anymore.  You realize how precious and fragile life really is.


My daughter fought for her life so she could be with me. Now I will fight for her and my other children, so I can continue to be around for them.  This is what losing weight for me is all about, fighting for my life for my children!!  My daughter had to be such a stronger little fighter and has overcome some of the worst odds.  What I am wanting to do is nothing compared to what she has been through, so I know I can do it.

So now I am going to post up some stats about GBS.  These are copied and pasted from the Group B Strep International website.  Here is the link: http://www.groupbstrepinternational.org/   

"Group B strep can infect babies BEFORE birth causing them to be miscarried or stillborn, born too early due to premature rupture of membranes and/or premature labor, or to become sick before IV antibiotics given during labor and delivery can be effective. 

Approximately 1 in 4 pregnant women carry GBS, the most common cause of life-threatening infections in newborns according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). GBS can also infect babies during pregnancy and the first few months of life.
Not all babies exposed to GBS become infected, but, for those who do, the results can be devastating. GBS can cause babies to be miscarried, stillborn, born prematurely, become very sick, have lifelong handicaps, or die."

Every woman should get tested for GBS between 34 and 37 weeks of pregnancy.  Most doctors in the US, already perform this test.  If you know a pregnant lady who isn't going to be tested or is thinking about trying to opt out, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, tell them my story.  I WAS tested but not correctly, that is why I had come up negative.  The doctor should swab both the vagina and the rectum and most only swab the vagina.  Make sure all the pregnant ladies know that as well, that both need swabbed.


Okay, I think I am done with my PSA.  This is something that is dear to my heart and has affected my life in so many ways, I couldn't even list them all.



So, just a little update on where I am on today on not being as big as a house.  Last night, the husband wanted to go out to dinner and he picked this little Mexican restaurant here in town.  I thought that I would be able to just pick something kind of healthy, but they didn't exactly have a healthy heart section on their menu.  I picked the chicken fajitas and only ate half and put the rest in a box.  When we got home, I decided that since I knew dinner had not been that healthy, it was time for another walk and everyone wanted to go with me.  I was SO happy!!  And yes even the husband!!

I hope everyone has a great day.  I need to go and start moving.  I have a lot to get done today.  Thank you for listening.

7 comments:

  1. What a strange coincidence that you post this today. 8 years ago today my nephew died just missing his 2nd birthday. He was born healthy but 5 weeks later he had a near-SIDS episode that left him profoundly handicapped.

    You did what you had to do to take care of yourself back then, you were just a little TOO good at it, as was I. Now it's time for us both to let go of the pain of those days and realize that the best thing we can do to take care of our kids is to take care of our own bodies responsibly. You are on the right track now and I am so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christina, your children are a fantastic reason for you to want to lose the pounds. And not only will you be doing it so you'll be with them longer, you'll be setting an example to them so they can pass it on to their own children! And your daughter is beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What a beginning to your precious little one's life. To see her so strong and healthy and beautiful is wonderful. I love that expression on her face. She looks as if she is a wise, old soul in a tiny, new body.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WHAT A BEAUTIFUL DAUGHTER an a difficult beginning.. I loved the pictures of her .. from the beginning to now.. she looks like a force to be reckoned with .. a strong little girl.. yay...
    and good call on your eating and taking the extra walk.. great for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooo, she's so pretty! I just want to eat her! And thank you for pointing out my excuse making efforts. Thought I should let you know that I went and I did extra... and thanked you for it when I was done:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad that both you and your daughter came through this o.k! What a darling little girl you have :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing your story with us. You have the best reason for getting healthy....your family. I have no doubt that you will succeed!

    ReplyDelete