Sunday, October 3, 2010

My yummy fresh veggie pasta dinner

Now I don't know if this is the best dinner to have, but it is oh so yummy.  I was inspired by Rachel Ray after watching her one day and I came up with this. 

What you need:
4 cloves of garlic, minced
Olive oil
Cherry or grape tomatoes
1 large onion, chopped
1 red and 1 green and 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
sausage (I use sweet basil flavor from Johnsonville and then cut it into slices, but you could use some turkey sausage)
black olives, drained
snipped fresh basil, oregano, and parsley
1 tablespoon of sugar
A splash or 2 of balsamic vinegar
2 packages any type of whole wheat pasta, I have found the thicker, bigger stuff works best, like fettuccine

Start boiling your water for your pasta and cook according to the package.  Save a cup of the starchy water when you drain the water after it has cooked.

In a very small sauce pan, cover the bottom with olive oil and warm.  When warm, put in half of your minced garlic and cook until it starts to brown, then put your tomatoes in.  Add the tablespoon of sugar.  Continue to cook until the tomatoes start to burst. Let simmer for about 10 minutes and if any of the tomatoes haven't burst yet, carefully pop them open with a spoon. Add the splashes of balsamic vinegar and that cup of starchy water.  Let cook for about 5 more minutes.  Turn the heat off and add the snipped fresh basil, oregano, and parsley.  I just add as much as I like.  When using fresh herbs, you can always add more then if they are dried. 

While do all this, in a separate big frying pan (I know they have a better name but that is what I call it), lightly coat the bottom with olive oil and add all your onions and peppers and the rest of the garlic.  Cook these until your desired tenderness.  I prefer them to be all the way cooked, brings out a really yummy sweet flavor.  In a separate pan, cook up your sauage and when it is done, drain and rinse it, then add it to the onion and peppers.

Now throw the tomato mixture and the pepper mixture and the black olives in the pan with the pasta and mix it all up.  Then serve!  Everything in moderation!!

It seem like there is a lot of oil in it until you eat it and you realize that it isn't that bad.  This recipe makes a lot so everything gets kind of spread out.  I don't eat much of the sausage, but it brings a nice flavor to everything. You can also switch things up and maybe throw in some squash or zucchini or carrots or artichoke hearts.  I bet  if you switched out the sausage for some chicken breast that it would be really yummy still, or even take out the meat all together.

Let me know what you think!!

2 comments:

  1. I left an award for you on my blog today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like a great recipe ... like u said too u can exchange the sausage for chicken or turkey sausage .. very good idea..!~

    ReplyDelete